Monday, May 10, 2010

Mothers Day









"A mother is a person who seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie". ~Tenneva Jordan

This quote resonated with me as it reminds me of my mom. My mom is my role model, my hero and my best friend. Simply stated, she is amazing. She is strong, loving, courageous and benevolent. She has a dazzling sparkle about her that illuminates every room she enters and I only hope to be as wonderful of a mother as she is. Being a mom myself, I now have a deeper appreciation and understanding of her love for my sisters and me. Her infamous saying "just wait one day when you are a mother, and you will understand".... finally has meaning and truth behind it. There are not enough "thank you's" in the world to illustrate my gratitude for her. She has shown me sunshine when I saw no more, wrapped me in her warmth when I fell in to the coldness and shown me the path when I was lost. My sisters and I are who we are because of her. She built our characters and instilled morals and values that we will instill in to our children. We may even add a story or two starting with the line..." We are from Connecticut" whether it be the cashier in the grocery line or the waiter in the restaurant (Susie and Krissie, I thought you would appreciate this one)!!

I had the most fabulous first mother's day. This time last year our little baby was just a little bean inside my tummy. God had big plans for him......the world was about to be blessed with a tiny soul who embraced big character and a contagious smiles and laughter. The world is his canvas and I can't wait to see the beautiful picture he paints as he moves through life.

It was a gorgeous day, warm and brilliant. Cam and daddy let mommy sleep in for a much needed rest. I wasn't sure if I would be able to go back to sleep after Cam's morning feeding, but much to my surprise (and little protest) I snuggled back down in to my blankets and that is the last thing I remember. I awoke to coffee, home made freshly squeezed orange juice and a walk in the sunshine with Rob, Cam and Bailey... my three favorite boys. I can't remember the last time I was able to wear flip flops outside. It just may have been last summer. We then packed up and headed down to the Pike Place Market where we strolled around, took in the scene and just enjoyed this beautiful city we are so blessed to call home. I have never seen such a crowd at the market. How could I forget that the first nice day Seattle has, everyone and their dog (literally) comes out to play. The warmth is almost manic producing, after so many rain drenched days that lay behind us. Cam enjoyed his time at the market and did not make it through without several bystanders becoming quick fans. We then walked down to Myrtle Edwards park, which is a great waterfront park with sprawling green grass and picture perfect park benches. We spread out our blanket, took of our shoes and played in the sunshine for the next couple of hours. It wouldn't have been a perfect day without a little nap as well! Cuddled up next to Cam, I closed my eyes and the warmth of the sun rays and the smell of my baby put me right to sleep. Two naps in one day, sunshine, fresh green grass beneath my bare feet and time spent with my favorite boys...it couldn't have been more perfect! A mother's day I will always remember and always cherish.





0 comments:

Post a Comment